Thursday, May 26, 2011

Have you ever considered donating blood?

The decision to give blood is not an easy one for some. Many people say they won’t donate because they have a fear of needles, others say that no one ever asked them. There are several myths and fears which deter people from walking into the donor center.
I donated blood for the first time at Indiana University in my dorm.  The Red Cross had set up a mobile blood drive on the first floor of my residence hall and I was passing through after class and was asked to donate. At the time, I had just been elected the Read-Landes Governess and thought I should set a good example and donate.
I had no idea what I was about to get myself into. Just kidding! I know that many people have a fear of needles and honestly, I’m not particularly fond of them myself. I just look away! I don’t remember the actual donation experience, so it must have been a positive one. I’ve been a blood donor since then and just donated for the 52nd time this morning.
Everyone has their own personal reasons for donating. I wish more people would consider it. Did you know that there isn’t a substitute for human blood? If there weren’t volunteer donors, and there were patients in need of blood, they would die. It truly is a matter of life and death.
In a posting the other day on facebook, we asked our fans and friends to write about the first time they donated blood. Many of the people who answered the question started donating blood because they had a loved one who was in need or who just received blood and they wanted to give back to the community.
Jo Kennedy Faulstich promised to give back after her dad had prostate surgery and required three transfusions. She is now working toward her 5th gallon of donations. Congratulations!
Tricia Sloma was raised knowing how important it is to donate blood when she witnessed her grandmother volunteering to donate blood at the local blood bank. I’m sure she would be proud of your commitment to saving the lives of others.
Trudy Herron was always curious about donating blood and one day was asked by a friend if she would like to tag along and give blood. It was the encouragement of her friend that led her to become a donor. Way to go!
And finally, Ladonna Minarik wrote about how her grandfather had died of leukemia.  Many cancer patients receive blood transfusions and platelets during their treatment.  Platelets help patients with clotting and are valuable in the treatment process.
If you’ve never been asked to donate blood or never thought it was important, I hope you will consider how your generosity will help others.  If you have questions about donating or would like to talk about the process please give me a call – Colleen 574.234.1157 or talk with one of our phlebotomists, they’ll be glad to answer any questions you might have.

No comments:

Post a Comment