Thursday, June 4, 2015

Jamie shares his story: Gluten-free isn't so bad...


Blood Donor Attendant Jamie McGraw wanted to share his story
about being diagnosed with celiac disease with those who have
lab work completed at The Medical Foundation.
Jamie McGraw has had a few battles to fight in his 28 years, but has developed into a rather independent, hard-working young man. His latest battle? Celiac Disease.

Celiac disease is a genetic autoimmune disease that damages the villi of the small intestine and interferes with absorption of nutrients from food.

The Medical Foundation Blood Donor Attendant noticed some problems with his stomach several years ago and sought medical advice. 

“I had to have a blood test because the doctor thought maybe I had celiac.  I got the blood test and it didn’t even hurt,” said Jamie.

Following the blood test, which triggered a positive result, Jamie endured two scopes and a biopsy at St. Joseph Regional Medical Center. Soon after, Jamie began a gluten-free diet.

“I’m gluten-free and it’s not that bad, I’m doing well being gluten-free,” said Jamie.

Jamie, who dreams of one day being a flight attendant, mentioned that he doesn’t even have trouble getting a good gluten-free snack on a flight.  According to him, “Delta and United both serve gluten-free items.  I had a granola bar, oh my God it goes well with Sprite,” he said with a little laugh and a huge smile.

Celiac is a condition he shares with his mother, who has also changed her eating habits over the last few years. But according to Jamie, she’s a great cook and makes a mean Quinoa salad, which happens to be his favorite unless Ian’s gluten-free chicken nuggets are on table!

Before his change in diet, Jamie said he felt, “lousy, my stomach would hurt every night.”

According to the National Foundation for Celiac Awareness, approximately 1 in 133 Americans has celiac disease, which affects both men and women across all ages and race. This number is probably a bit skewed, since about 83% of Americans who have the disease are undiagnosed or misdiagnosed with other conditions.

The first step in being diagnosed with celiac disease is doing exactly what Jamie did by getting a blood test. Recommendations from the National Foundation for Celiac Awareness include tests offered in the CeliacPanel offered by The Medical Foundation for $150.  To view the description of the test and for more information on ordering the test, please click here.

Are you unsure if you have celiac disease? If so, don’t make dietary changes until after you have diagnosed.  The Medical Foundation has added a blood test, celiac serology profile, to our Direct Access Testing website at www.YourDirectTest.com.  Take the first step in managing your health by ordering the test. If the test is positive, we recommend you visit your primary physician who can follow up with further testing including a biopsy.

 

 

1 comment:

  1. I was diagnosed about 5 years ago of HIV and have lived taking ARV and thought of having Herbal medicine to cure this disease completely. I wouldn't be able to bare Vomiting and my tongue go white because of these diseases called HIV/Aids. I learned to live with it but I have definitely prayed and had hands laid on me, My friends at work knew about my HIV Status so on a faithful day my friend Hannah talk to me about this great man called Dr Itua From west African because my friend Hannah is from West African too she came to acquire degree here in South Carolina, I accepted the challenge and contacted Dr Itua Herbal Center...drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com also chat on Whatsapp Number.+2348149277967. Then he delivered his Herbal medicine to me which was labeled as Dr Itua Herbal Medicine Cure For HIV/Aids, I took it as he instructed after two weeks I went to test and I was tested Negative. I'm still writing on every blog site related to the following diseases such as HIV/Aids, Herpes Virus, Shingles,Epilepsy,Autism, Hepatitis B/C, Because he cures this kind of diseases.

    ReplyDelete