Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Counting Down To ICD-10: Implementation "Go Live" Date is October 1, 2015


After several years of delaying the implementation of ICD-10, healthcare providers, payers, clearinghouses and billing services should be ready to finally implement the new system on October 1st, 2015. 

The International Classification of Disease, or ICD, is a list created by the World Health Organization (WHO).  It is mandated that anyone using the Health Insurance Portability Accountability Act (HIPAA), should also use the ICD-10 system of disease classification.

The new system is being implemented because ICD-9 procedures limit data regarding patient medical conditions and hospital inpatient procedures.  The current ICD-9 system is over 30 years old, had outdated terms and is inconsistent with current medical practices; hence, the need for the updated ICD-10 system which allows the collection of a plethora of information regarding patients.

The ICD-10-PCS will be used in the United States for inpatient settings only.  The codes will use 7 alphanumeric digits instead of the current system which consists of 3 or 4 numbers.  The additional numbers will allow physicians to include the category of disease, etiology of disease, body part affected and the severity of the illness.  Having a uniform structure of code used throughout the United States will allow for better tracking of illness and disease.

If you have any questions about the role The Medical Foundation plays in ICD-10 or our preparedness for the October 1st deadline, please contact Joel Fletcher at jfletcher@sbmf.org or 574.234.4176 *64529.   

1 comment:

  1. I was diagnosed about 5 years ago of HIV and have lived taking ARV and thought of having Herbal medicine to cure this disease completely. I wouldn't be able to bare Vomiting and my tongue go white because of these diseases called HIV/Aids. I learned to live with it but I have definitely prayed and had hands laid on me, My friends at work knew about my HIV Status so on a faithful day my friend Hannah talk to me about this great man called Dr Itua From west African because my friend Hannah is from West African too she came to acquire degree here in South Carolina, I accepted the challenge and contacted Dr Itua Herbal Center...drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com also chat on Whatsapp Number.+2348149277967. Then he delivered his Herbal medicine to me which was labeled as Dr Itua Herbal Medicine Cure For HIV/Aids, I took it as he instructed after two weeks I went to test and I was tested Negative. I'm still writing on every blog site related to the following diseases such as HIV/Aids, Herpes Virus, Shingles,Epilepsy,Autism, Hepatitis B/C, Because he cures this kind of diseases.

    ReplyDelete